Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Shel" ebrating Words!

Hello Everyone!
I looooove poetry.  What an engaging vehicle from which to celebrate words and encourage kids to write!  Regie Routman has a great little book out, "Kid's Poems- Teaching First Graders to Love Writing Poetry." She discusses immersing kids in poetry to get them excited about writing their own.  Well, from Day 1, we have celebrated poetry...learning some, interpreting others, dissecting yet others.  This week with the help of Shel Silverstein, we ventured into writing some free verse. I used two of my favs from this renowned poet, "Ouch," and "Band Aids" as mentor texts.  We then brainstormed all the things that make us say "OUCH!"  And what kids doesn't love band aids?? We developed our brainstorming into list poems and published them on giant band aids. OH!  Then I let all my little poets have their fill of band aids!  So cute!







The mini unit includes Shel Silverstein poems, brainstorming sheets for "Ouch" and "Band Aids" as well as another of my favs, "Tired" to use as a mentor text.  There is a cute little craft connection for this one too!! I'll post pics as soon as my little poets get them done!

Hope you're having a great day!! Till next time, thanks for taking a peek!
Joyfully!
Nancy






4 comments:

  1. I don't know how you do it??? but week after week you come up with yet another... super cute, incredibly creative unit! You are truly AMAZING!!! Thank you again for sharing all of your wonderful ideas with us... and offering them for FREE - you are so very generous!

    Thank you for spreading so much JOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Debbie's comment! Thank you! I love Shel Silverstein!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fabulous! I just downloaded my copy and am so excited! I do a band-aid contraction lesson that I found blogging and we also did some band-aid crafts when learning the ou sound, but I think that if I could incorporate ALL three of these in the same week it would ROCK!! Thanks so much for sharing. I am your newest follower, and a huge new fan! Can't wait to check out the rest of your blog!

    Angie
    Monahan Monkey Madness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute mini unit! I teach 4th grade, but I'll use it with my daughter this summer! Thanks for sharing! I just found your blog through google! Quick question: where'd you get your frames for your unit? I love them!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!