Tuesday, October 15, 2013

What's Your Seed Story?

Hello Everyone!
We are working hard during our writer's workshop. Our current focus is writing "small moment" stories.  If you have read any of Lucy Calkins' books, she encourages kids to write about small moments from their lives.  First graders tend to write about very broad topics and just skim the surface of those ideas.  In our classroom we call those "Pumpkin Stories." Great and wonderful, but not many details.  We are now working on zooming in on some of those wonderful memories and picking out one little seed.  Those seeds (small moment memories from our lives) are pretty important and interesting too! Learning how to pick out that seed can be tricky for our littles!  I put together  a little unit to help me help them.  I hope it will help you as well!
Here are a few pics from the unit and from out workings so far.





Pumpkin or seed?




Sorting ideas with a friend!
 Of course I had to bring in the real thing!!! :)
Brainstorming!





I think I want to write about that jar of spaghetti sauce!! :) 

The kids will now work on adding details to their seed stories---because even those seeds are special and important!
14 pages! :)

Writing can be so much fun.  Showing kids how their own small seeds can make great stories is amazing!!  I can't wait for tomorrow!!

Til next time, have a wonderful evening! Keep saving those seeds for writing ideas!!
Joyfully!
Nancy


8 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing. I love reading your blog.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, This unit is FABULOUS! I love the small moment concept, but your activities and graphics make the connection! You have inspired me to buy the Lucy Calkins book.

    Tammy
    The Resourceful Apple

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible idea! I was so excited to see this on your blog and couldn't wait to find it in your store - much to my surprise (and glee!), you offered it as a freebie! Thank you :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  4. You.are.absolutely......AWESOME!!!! My goodness, every time a read one of your posts, I am just blown away by your creativity. Genius....brilliant! Your students and your district are so lucky to have you...very impressed by all that you do.

    Carla M. (http://www.pinterest.com/carlaroni/boards/)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome! I would love to be a child in your class! I love how you make each activity meaningful and fun. You are also a blessing to so many teachers for freely sharing your wonderful ideas for us to use in our classrooms. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this; I love everything that you post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, Thank you so much for sharing! I was about to teach this lesson with my first graders and I got the email alert that you posted this blog. It couldn't be more timely! I read a book "From Seed to Pumpkin" and a second book where the character was in a small moment ("Monster's Playhouse"). Later, I used your awesome ideas to anchor it all into a small moment vs big picture story. I love how your ideas are so creative and engaging for these kids. It makes teaching so much more enjoyable! And the kids got it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just used this in my class. Worked perfectly! Definitely an A-1 lesson.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is for fellow educators, parents, and friends! I love reading and learning from your comments! Please share your thoughts!